A paperless office is a work environment in which the use of paper is eliminated or greatly reduced. This is done by converting documents and other papers into digital form. “Going paperless” can save money, boost productivity, save space, make documentation and information sharing easier, keep personal information more secure, and help the environment.
Emerio’s BluePrint is a Business Process Management solution for organisations that enable them to achieve a paperless office environment and increase organizational efficiency by many folds. Information passes between employees quickly and bottlenecks caused by paper based processes are eliminated.
BluePrint achieves this by providing a scalable forms and workflow platform to rapidly automate paper based forms and automating the business process using a web based user interface. The Platform provides these features out-of-the-box allowing us to focus on your Business Processes from the start.
Features at a Glance
- Forms Designer – Using the BluePrint framework, Emerio can automate your forms rapidly for you. The framework allows for all basic form elements, tabs, sections, tables and other controls to be used in forms. Completed forms are made available to your forms library for your end-users to use. BluePrint comes with common forms that organisations use. If you want more forms, more can be designed easily!
- Versioning – The forms have versioning in-built. So you can change your processes as often as you like without disrupting the existing processes.
- Printing – The forms allow printing at any stage. Forms have a printer friendly view that capture all the information presented in the screen so that if a hardcopy of the form is required for any reason it is available.
- Data Types – BluePrint forms support simple and complex data types. Forms can have tables, in-place editing and offers controls for file uploads. Validations are applied on all elements. Forms can also have dependent sections that can be triggered if certain conditions in the form are met.
- Attachments – BluePrint supports the ability to attach documents and other supporting information as part of the process. Attachments are stored securely on the Database Server. Validations are also available on the types of files that can be uploaded and their size.
- Mobile Based Approvals – Most managers providing approvals to processes in BluePrint are constantly busy with important tasks and/or are travelling. BluePrint allows for timely actions by providing the capability to participate in BluePrint processes using their mobiles. Currently BluePrint supports the Apple iPhone platform allowing users to Approve, Reject or Reroute tasks.
- Rapid Workflow Designer – Out-of-the-box workflows that would apply to most of your processes are already a part of BluePrint. If you need more, they can be easily added.
- Versioning – The workflows have versioning in-built. So you can change your processes as often as you like without disrupting the existing processes.
- Workflow Process – BluePrint workflows are defined in stages and steps. Each stage can have multiple steps and server or client events. The workflow status shown to users are business terms so that users can relate to them easily.
- Re-Route or Route Back – If a user is assigned a task that they feel should not be actioned by them, they can Re-Route the task to the correct person within their organisation with a similar approval authority. Sometimes the information provided may be insufficient to making a decision, the users can then use the Route Back function to ask the user to provide more information.
- Workflow Path – You can see how the process has travelled within you organisation before taking action on it. A graphical representation of the workflow makes it easy to make decisions and see how the process proceeds after your action.
- Security – Multiple layers of security can be defined at form or section level at the user interface. Process and role based security is applied so that only relevant users can see information from the system.
- Notifications – BluePrint can have a lot of notifications (if you want!). While a dashboard guides you on what you need to do, you can also get notified when the form gets approved via email. Notifications can also be sent to the managers or other persons involved in the process
- Branding – BluePrint allows for your companies logos and branding to be applied on the forms and user interface. In future versions, users will be able to select the color schemes they prefer.
- Process Reporting – Processes contain a lot of insight about the organisation, such data needs to be available to business users to further analyse and optimise these processes. This module provides business users the ability to query business data in BluePrint in an easy to use interface.
- Task List – The core of the system is a TaskList for each user. Every user will be able to see pending tasks in one single place. BluePrint’s Task List is also available as a SharePoint WebPart.
- Third Party Inclusion – Third parties can be included as part of your business process. This means you can close the gap between your systems and your clients by having them become a part of the automated process.
- Lookups and Business Data – Processes depend on information already present in your organisation or Lookup data (e.g.: Cost Centre, Departments, and Location List). This information can be made available in forms easily using BluePrint.
- Email Templates – Notifications about processes are an available for each process. These notifications can be customised by the system administrator so that the actors involved in the process are guided on the next steps and the background of the process.
- Out of Office – We can integrate with Exchange Out of Office to detect when users are on leave. This information is provided to the actors in the workflow advising them that actions on the form may be delayed.
- Escalations – BluePrint allows for escalations to be sent to managers when a particular task is not completed on time. This is configurable since not all organisations follow such a practice. Reminders are also sent if a critical task is reaching its due date.
- Storage – Our solution is designed for easy data storage and management. All data is stored in a separate content database so that backups and security can be managed easily. The data is stored in XML and can be used for custom reporting solutions where needed.
- Delegations – Allow someone else in the organisation to act on your behalf is a useful function, especially for management users who are usually very busy on other business functions. BluePrint’s Delegation function allows for a personal assistant to fill requests on their behalf.
- Works with K2 BlackPearl – If your company has already invested in BPM solutions like K2 BlackPearl (API Access required), BluePrint will be able to work seamlessly with it. This way you will realise your ROI on the investment on such tools faster. BluePrint is built on Microsoft Workflow Foundation which is an open platform by Microsoft.
- External Databases – Interface with your existing data and make them a part of your business process. We can interface with most external databases like SQL Server, Oracle and others.
- Exchange Server – We can automatically detect when someone is on leave or out-of-office and give you an option to route to process to an alternative person who can act on the item.
- Active Directory Integration and Forms Authentication – BluePrint works with Active Directory Authentication as well as Forms Authentication. It can even work with both at the same time. This allows organisations to have processes that their internal users can participate in as well as external companies/users.
BluePrint is a simple solution to a common problem. We have seen companies spending a lot of money in first buying a BPM platform and then either training their own resources to implement solutions or outsourcing the implementation to an external vendor. The costs associated are many folds:
- Cost of Product
- Cost of building internal competency on the product
- Spending time and effort building and supporting the implementation
- Engaging an external vendor for building a solution
- Paying hefty maintenance costs
ROI calculations are used during purchase but it takes many years for real value to be achieved.
BluePrint takes a simpler approach by providing a platform that comes with common processes out of the box. Additional processes or complex solutions can be built rapidly. A fair licencing system that does not lock you in with CALs that you don’t need. A team with strong knowledge on BPM and experience with the implementation of complex enterprise systems.